Trouble Shooting the DVD Autoloader
Posted by Mont Rothstein on 18 October 2007 04:05 PM
These were the steps taken to trouble shoot a DVD Autoloader:
- Checked the event log. There were a long series of errors (every minute) about a Job ID not being found.
- Checked the service status. The Foray Archive Service was running. I stopped it because it was obviously spitting out errors every minute.
- Checked the C:\Temp\Archive directory. Here I saw that there were multiple job directories (FA-*) as well as .job and .jobid-# files. This means that these jobs are not yet completed. The .jobid-# file is created only after the job has been handed to the Autoloader.
- Opened the Padus Network Console. There were jobs still not completed, the status was "working", but the last job completed was a number of hours before.
- Had the user check the drives and printer for disks. There was a disk in a drive and one in the printer. Had them removed by the user.
- Re-booted the DVD-Autoloader PC
- After the computer had re-booted the Network Console said there was no blank media, but there was.
- Stopped the service via Padus Network Console "File->Stop Shared Network Writer(s)..."
- Started the service via Padus Network Console "File->Share Network Writer(s)..."
- Now there were erros in the Padus Network Console log saying the the printer was out of ink. A thermal ribbon should be good for 2000 disks, and we had done less than 100, so something else had to be the cause.
- In this instance there was an update to the Padus software.
- Stopped the service
- Copied the new files to C:\Program Files\Padus\Disk Juggler
- Run Drive Assigner
- Check each of the drives
- The printer port should be USB002
- Click Update, click OK
- The next step was to test the printer
- Open Disk Juggler
- Select File->New
- Select Print Only
- If you do not see a field labeled "Overlay" open Tools->Options and turn on Autoloader->Simplified options. You may then have to close the Task and open a new Task
- Enter a short message in the Overlay field such as your name
- Click Start
- Make sure the job prints ok, the text in the Overlay field should print on the disk
- Close Disk Juggler
- Open Padus Network Console
- Start the service
- Select File->Configure Server->Print Options and confirm that the PowerPro III printer is selected
- You may have to click Resume at the bottom of the window
- Things will hopefully be printing now.
- You can use the Jobs, Writers, and Log messages views to monitor things
- Remove the C:\Program Files\Foray\Archive Service\StopService file if one exists
- Start the Foray Archive Service