- Health Check
- Run HealthCheck.exe
- Resolve any issues discovered by HealthCheck.exe
- Download the latest Updates release
- Prevent access to Adams from all users
- Block access to the database via the firewall
- Stop AdamsAdminPool and AdamsWebPool
- Backup the repository
- Backup the database
- Update Configure Adams
- On the server running the database, run Configure ADAMS Setup.exe
- If Adams Update Service is not running on that server and you are updating from 32-bit (i.e. pre-5.5) to 64-bit, copy the Foray.Adams.Config.xml from the 32-bit install location (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Foray) to the 64-bit install location (e.g. C:\Program Files\Foray)
- Upgrade the Database
- Run Configure Adams
- Open the Adams Admin Foray.Adams.config.xml file. Do not open a config file that points to Adams Admin because the pool has been stopped.
- Click Load Central Config
- If a database upgrade is needed then a message box will inform you and ask you to make sure you have a backup and that no one is using the system.
- If a backup has been done and if no one is using the system then allow the database upgrade to continue.
- After this database upgrade no one will be able to use the system until their software has been upgraded to the current version.
- If a database has been updated or if an update is not needed a prompt may appear to upgrade the Repository
- Click OK
- You may continue with these instructions, and users may use the system, while the Repository is being upgraded.
- After any upgrades the central configuration will be displayed.
- Exit Configure Adams
- If upgrading from any version 5.6-5.8.3
- Uninstall the following apps: Adams Web, Acquisition Service, Archive Service, Purge Service, WAN Connect Service
- These are re-installed later
- Update Adams Admin
- *STOP* - Once Adams Admin Setup.exe is run all machine running Adams Update Service will automatically begin to update all installed Adams applications.
- Run Adams Admin Setup.exe
- Run Configure Adams
- This is to verify that Adams Admin is running properly
- Make sure the config file opened is pointing to Adams Admin rather than directly to the DB. Do not open the Adams Admin config file.
- If you get an Adams Admin error, try these steps to resolve it.
- In the Adams Admin bin directory (e.g. C:\inetpub\wwwroot\AdamsAdmin\bin), delete the Atalasoft.dotImage.WinControls.dll file if it exists.
- Restart the Adams Admin pool in IIS.
- Close and reopen Configure Adams.
- If upgrading from any version 5.6-5.8.* (continued from earlier)
- Install the new version of any apps uninstalled in Step 6: Adams Web, Acquisition Service, Archive Service, Purge Service, WAN Connect Service
- This works around an upgrade bug in Adams Web 5.6-5.8.*
- Adams Update Service
- The Foray Adams Update Service, running on client and server machines, checks every 15 min for updates so to force a machine to download its updates either reboot the machine or re-start the Foray Adams Update Service.
- Note, the Foray.Adams.Config.xml used by the Foray Adams Update Service must specify an Adams Admin url or the service will write a warning to the Event log and terminate without updating anything.
- Adams Web - Authentication mode
- After Adams Web is updated, the applicable authentication mode needs to be re-enabled in IIS.
- IIS > Sites > Default Web Site > AdamsWeb > IIS Authentication > select the Forms OR Windows authentication (whichever is the site's requirement) > Enable
- Recycle the AdamsWeb application pool
If an installation or automatic upgrade fails, get the log files. Here's where to find them.
For a manual installation:
You'll have to show hidden folders to see these folders.
For an automatic upgrade:
Example of log file names for Configure Adams on an x64 machine:
Sort by "Date modified" to get the latest log. If there is more than one around the same time, get all of them. Get the log with the "Setupx64" suffix and without.