This article explains how to create a group policy object for the domain that will set the Local Intranet Sites list in IE.
This is the domain group policy equivalent of the following:
IE > Internet Options > Settings > Internet Options > Security > Local intranet > Sites > Advanced
To add the domain, a machine, or a site to the local intranet sites list do the following:
- On the domain controller open Group Policy Management
- Group Policy Management -> Forest -> Domains -> domain -> Group Policy Objects -> Default Domain Policy -> (right click) Edit…
- Group Policy Management Editor
- Default Domain Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Control Panel -> Security Page
- (right hand pane) double click Site to Zone Assignment List
- Site to Zone Assignment List Properties
- Select Enabled
- Value: 1 (this is for Local Intranet)
- Close Group Policy Management Editor
- Close Group Policy Management
- A workstation reboot is required for the policy to be applied. Local edits on the workstation will no longer be possible.